So many people have sworn off bottled water. Instead, they have started drinking faucet water. The only exception is seltzer. So many people drink gallons of carbonated water with their meals and they use it to make fresh juices that serve as a substitute to soda. This can be quite expensive though, which is the reason why many people now try to make carbonated water on their own. Do you know how to make carbonated water at home? Keep reading to learn what you can do when you cannot get enough seltzer.
How to Make Carbonated Water?
While people are quite interested in making carbonated water at home, they just do not find good instructions to accomplish the goal without anyone's help. Here are some simple yet effective ways to make carbonated water.
1. With Seltzer Bottle
These are basically devices used to make carbonated water. They have a tube, a main chamber, and a head with a dispensing liver. They also have a carbon dioxide charger to carbonate water. You can use these bottles to produce fresh batches of water. You can use it with flavored syrups to prepare delicious alternative to sodas. Follow these steps to learn how to make carbonated water using seltzer bottle.
- Set up the seltzer bottle to make it ready for operation and pull in tap water.
- Find its open compartment, which will be on the side of its head.
- Look for a pod in this compartment – it will have the charger as well.
- Take off the holder and put the charger inside of it.
- Place the holder into the compartment and wait until you get a hissing sound, which indicates that the charger has started producing the carbon dioxide.
- Hold the bottle and shake it in a vertical motion. Do it a few times to distribute the carbon dioxide properly into the water.
- Take off the charger holder and squeeze the lever firmly to get carbonated water.
Below is a step-by-step video demonstration and please note that instructions may vary according to the type of your seltzer water:
2. With Yeast
If you are not interested in using a seltzer bottle, you can learn how to make carbonated water with yeast. Yeast works because it eats sugar and leaves a by-product that is carbon dioxide. To make 1 gallon of carbonated water, use 1/8 tsp. of yeast, 1/4 tsp. for 2 gallons of water and 1/2 tsp. for 4 gallons.
Here are the steps to follow:
- Get a plastic bottle and fill it up with the beverage you need to carbonate. Make certain that the beverage is warm or else the yeast will not work. There must be some sugar in it as well.
- Get yeast. You can use different kinds of yeast for this task. Using champagne yeast is usually the best choice because it does not change the taste and stays at the bottom.
- Cap the bottle and shake it well. Now, place it in a dark, warm spot for a couple of days for yeast to do its job.
- Check the bottle after a couple of days by squeezing it hard with your thumb. If you notice a dent, it is not ready.
Once ready, you should keep the bottle in the refrigerator because it will stop the fermentation process. While using, be sure to pour the drink in a way that the dormant yeast sediment stays at the bottom of the bottle. The following video shows more:
3. With Dry Ice
You can use dry ice to learn how to make carbonated water. If you’ve got the time, have a safety valve for the bottle to avoid any accident. You will need a cup of white sugar, cups of cold water, dry ice, and half ounce of flavoring. Use 100 to 250 g dry ice for every litre of water. To avoid messiness, take them outside during the process!
Here are the steps to follow:
- Start by attaching the safety valve. You can do it by drilling a hole in the cap and inserting the valve into it. Be sure to screw on the locknut to keep it into place.
- Then mix the sugar, water, and flavoring. Pour this mixture into the bottle and put a few chunks of dry ice into it.
- Screw on the cap and leave it for about 10 minutes. Once done, you can use it as your homemade soda!
- If you don’t have the safety valve, just have only half a bottle of water, and then put in dry ice without closing the cap, or you can leave a few holes in the cap. Then wait.
4. With Vinegar and Baking Soda
You can always use the combination of vinegar and baking soda to make carbonated water at home. Just be careful about using it because too much of each ingredient may leave you with a huge mess in your kitchen because it can explode! Avoid using a glass bottle either. For video instructions please go to instructables.com.
Things You Need
- A couple of plastic bottles (20oz) with caps
- Tubing of up to 3ft
- Drill with drill bit
- Silicone seal
- Baking soda
- Take a bottle and fill it up with water or liquid that you want to carbonate.
- Add the mixture of vinegar and baking soda into the other bottle.
- Now, use the drill to make a hole that is slightly smaller than the tube in each of the bottles and then run a piece of tubing between these two bottles. Use silicone seal to keep tubing into place.
- Wait for a few seconds while the reaction pressurizes both bottles.
- You have carbonated water ready!