The color of vaginal skin varies from woman to woman. It can be many different shades from pink, to red, to burgundy. Some women worry about this darker skin, associating it with poor hygiene or infection. In most cases this darkening of the vaginal skin is perfectly normal and could be caused by numerous factors. Most are not a cause for concern and some can be easily corrected. Vaginal discoloration or hyperpigmentation should not make you feel unattractive.
Why Do My Vaginal Lips Turn Black?
During sexual arousal, the body increases blood flow to the genitals. This increased blood flow leads to swelling of the vaginal tissue as well as lubrication, which is the first physical sign of arousal. There is also a darkening in color of the clitoris and inner lips at this time. When no longer aroused or after reaching orgasm, regular color returns to the vaginal area. This is due to blood flow returning to normal. This color change during arousal can turn pinks red, and reds to shades of wine, burgundy, or purple. These changes are perfectly normal.
The color of vaginal skin can not only vary from woman to woman, but can change depending on many different factors, such as:
- Excess production of melatonin
- Hormonal imbalances
- Regular application of talcum powder to the area
- Frequent shaving of the area
- Malnutrition or certain vitamin deficiencies
- The use of particular creams, soaps, body washes, or other similar products
- Wearing tight clothing or undergarments made of synthetic material
As long as you are not experiencing itching, discomfort, pain, discharge, or a foul odor then there is nothing for you to worry about. If you do have any of these symptoms, whether accompanied by hyperpigmentation or not, you should see your gynecologist as soon as possible as these symptoms can be a sign of infection.
Will Dark Vaginal Lips Make Me Unattractive?
It is perfectly normal for labial and vaginal skin to be darker when compared to your body, darker than you expect it to be, or to discolor depending on certain factors. Thanks to the beauty and pornography industries, and other media, women have been led to believe that the only normal or attractive vaginas are pink, hairless, and sparkling. Unfortunately, many women become self-conscious about yet another aspect of their bodies that they should not worry about. Below are just a few comments from real people about this issue and whether it has an effect on relationships.
“It shouldn't be a deal breaker. And if for some reason it is, then he's not worth it no matter how good a boyfriend he is otherwise. It's like refusing to have sex with you over something completely normal, like a birthmark or freckles. I certainly don't think it looks dirty or unattractive. I think it looks like YOU. Be confident in that.” –jorwyn
“I've never met a vagina I didn't like. I've seen where porn actresses try to create some unrealistic, idealized vagina and they spend tons of time and money to do it. It might look good on camera but it isn't real. Personally, with girlfriends, ain’t nobody got time for that.”—An older dude
“You have to remember, it's only one part of the total package. If he cares about you then the color of your vagina shouldn't matter." –SunnyRaha2
Can I Lighten My Vagina Lips?
Since darker colors of vaginal tissue are completely normal, you shouldn’t worry about lightening the skin. However, since women all over the world worry about the color of their vaginal skin, home remedies have popped up everywhere and are easily found on the internet. We’ve listed some of the remedies below, though there is no guarantee to their efficacy. We have also included some simple changes you can make at home.
- Lime juice is an effective natural bleaching agent, and considered to be one of the best. Since it is a common ingredient in many skin lightening options, it’s no surprise to find it in this particular home remedy. It is mixed with yogurt, which contains a good amount of bacteria, helping to prevent genital thrush which can cause quite a bit of pain. To use, mix a few drops of lime juice with the yogurt and apply a thick layer to the vaginal tissue. Let it sit for about twenty minutes, then wash thoroughly with a non-acidic, mild soap.
- Another widely used home remedy for vaginal discoloration is mixing lime juice with turmeric, the spice that give curry its color (though turmeric is quite mild). Apply the mixture to vaginal skin, leaving it on for twenty to thirty minutes before thoroughly washing with a mild soap. Using this mixture regularly is reported to significantly lighten the skin within a few days.
- Avoid the use of razors, hair removal products, talcum powder, or other hygiene products to the genital area because this can further darken or discolor skin.
- Make sure any clothing and undergarments are loose-fitting or proper-fitting and not too tight. Undergarments should also be made preferably of cotton.
- Being sure to follow a healthy diet prevents deficiencies in needed vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients. You should also drink six to eight glasses of water of day.
- Maintaining a healthy body weight is important. You should get approximately thirty minutes of exercise a day, five days a week.
There are commercially produced lightening creams on the market today. It can generally take weeks of daily applications to vaginal skin before you see any noticeable results. Skin lightening clinics offer these services, if you can fit it into a budget.